Job Description: An owner will have their own company and coordinate all aspects of the business, from finance to marketing. Depending on the size of the business they may employ regional managers or directors to manage specialist areas of the business to ensure it operates efficiently.
Your day-to-day duties may involve:
- coordinating activities of senior members of staff
- managing budgets
- recruiting and training staff
- business marketing
As well as managing the business you may help with general activities and liaise with your employees. For example, you may help with food preparation in the restaurant or oversee the event coordination if you own an events company. This is crucial to understanding how your business operates at ground level and improving customer service.
Depending on the size of your business you may employ regional managers or directors to manage specialist areas. For example, a restaurant owner may employ a front of house manager who will supervise other members of staff in setting up the restaurant for service, taking food and drink orders, serving them, and collecting payment. For the business to run successfully the owner must stay in close contact with the senior members of staff to ensure the business is meeting its targets.
The number of employees working for you will depend largely on the size of the business and customer demand. As the owner, you will play an active role in recruiting new members of staff to ensure they meet business needs. Day-to-day you will manage budgets, initiate marketing campaigns to raise the business’ profile and implement strategies for business growth.
Available Training and Certifications:
- Certified Lodging Owner (CLO)
- Certified Hospitality Facilities Executive (CHFE)
- Certified Rooms Division Executive (CRDE®)
- Certified Hotel Administrator (CHA®)
- Certified Hospitality Revenue Manager (CHRM®)
- Certification in Hotel Industry Analytics (CHIA)
- Certified Guest Service Professional (CGSP®)
- Certified Hospitality Supervisor (CHS®)
- Certified Restaurant Manager