Description: The head sommelier has the responsibility of developing a wine list for the lunch and dinner service, and supporting the sommeliers as they serve and sell the wine. The head sommelier will make wine recommendations suitable for all types of food, occasions, and budgets.
Your day-to-day duties may involve:
- creating a wine list
- selling and recommending wine
- serving wine in the correct manner
- storing the wine correctly
- briefing team members about the content of the wine
The role of the head sommelier is crucial at a fine dining restaurant. As guests sit to order their food you will offer guidance on which wines will suit their order. You will also work closely with the head chef to ensure the wine list is compatible with the menu. As the head sommelier, you will store the wine at the correct temperature, serve it in suitable glasses and present it in the appropriate manner.
Guests may ask you for recommendations from the wine list, so you’ll need to have excellent knowledge of the food being served at the event. Prior to the lunch and dinner service, you will taste the wine and food to create the wine list and make suitable recommendations. You’ll brief the waiting staff and sommeliers about the content of the wine, so they too can promote the wines and advise customers.
You will also oversee selling and serving liqueurs and brandies and will liaise closely with other team members to take wine orders at the appropriate times.
- Contribute to promoting hospitality services and products
- Contribute to the development of a wine list
- Contribute to the development of teams and individuals
- Contribute to the selection of staff for activities
- Develop productive working relationships with colleagues
- Ensure food safety practices are followed in the preparation and serving of food and drink
- Give customers a positive impression of yourself and your organization
- Improve the customer relationship
- Lead a team to improve customer service
- Maintain the health, hygiene, safety, and security of the working environment
- Monitor and solve customer service problems
- Prepare and serve spirits and liqueurs
- Prepare and serve wines
- Provide leadership for your team
- Provide learning opportunities for colleagues
- Supervise cellar and drink storage operations
- Supervise drinks services
- Supervise the wine store/cellar and dispense counter
- Work effectively as part of a hospitality team
Available training & certifications