Job Description: As an event manager you will have the responsibility of the planning, coordinating and promoting an event on behalf of a client or your own organization. You will liaise with suppliers, exhibitors, guests, and clients to ensure the event is just as planned, and manage a team of event coordinators.
Your day-to-day duties may involve:
- liaising with your clients
- maintaining a record of expenses and adhering to the budget as requested by the client
- finding and securing venues
- initiating the promotion of the event, via social media, the press, phone calls
- implementing health and safety procedures
As an event manager, you may specialize in one area, or plan an array of events – from weddings to music concerts. You will manage every aspect of coordinating an event from sales to marketing. You will plan the distribution of posters and promotional items to advertise the event and support the event coordinators as they sell stand space to exhibitors before and during an exhibition.
As the event manager, you will coordinate the operational aspect of the event. This involves planning timetables and liaising with caterers, contractors, and equipment hire companies to supply the venue with food and any additional services such as electrical appliances. You will ensure the event coordinators are working effectively and dealing with inquiries from exhibitors, speakers, sponsors, and visitors. It is essential that you organize insurance and security for the event, and ensure that health and safety regulations are adhered to.
In addition to organizing the event, it is vital that the event manager maintains a record of expenses, and keeps to the client's budget.
- Allocate and monitor the progress and quality of work in your area of responsibility
- Develop and implement operational plans for your area of responsibility
- Develop detailed plans for an event
- Develop productive working relationships with colleagues and stakeholders
- Ensure compliance with legal, regulatory, ethical and social requirements
- Evaluate and report on the success of an event
- Implement marketing strategies and plans for products/services
- Manage a budget
- Manage contracts for an event
- Manage physical resources
- Manage the running of an event
- Manage the setup and breakdown of an event
- Monitor and solve customer service problems
- Negotiate sales of products and services
- Oversee health, safety, and security at event sites
- Provide leadership in your area of responsibility
- Provide learning opportunities for colleagues
- Research, analyze and report information
- Sell products and services to customers
Available training & certifications