Select Your Style

Choose your layout

Color scheme

Our Education Foundation has been a long-term partner with the Washington State Liquor Control Board. Our ServSafe Alcohol program is approved for online and in-person training.


The majority of our instructor led classes are taught by an in-house trainer in your restaurant. We offer a full training program so that you can become a certified trainer.

Why train in-house

Being able to train your staff is super convenient. New employees can easily get trained and be in compliance quickly. If a number of employees permits are expiring host a class for several team members. In today’s business world convenience is everything.

Your staff can also receive this great training online or you can find an instructor in your area to provide this training for you and your staff.

How to get started

Train your employees in-house to receive alcohol server permits by becoming a ServSafe Alcohol trainer:

1) Obtain a ServSafe Alcohol Advanced Certificate and Class 12 permit. Any Washington Hospitality Association Education Foundation (WHAEF) certified ServSafe Alcohol instructor can administer one or both of the exams required to obtain both certifications. You can find an instructor near you here.

2) Become a certified ServSafe Alcohol instructor. After obtaining your advanced ServSafe Alcohol certification, you become eligible to apply for instructor status. You must take the online ServSafe Alcohol Tutorial and online Instructor Assessment. Upon completion, you must submit an application with the $50 fee. You can find more information regarding this process here.

3) Attend a continuing education class. The Washington state Liquor and Cannabis Board (LCB) and WHAEF will hold continuing education classes throughout Washington state. You must attend one of these approved classes before, and every five years after, you become certified as an instructor with the WHAEF and WSLCB. You can view the schedule of upcoming classes here.

4) Complete the necessary forms for the WSLCB. Simply click here to download the forms, print a copy, write in your answers and sign them. Original signatures are required. You will need to view the WSLCB’s PowerPoint presentationWashington Administrative Code (WAC) and Revised Code of Washington (RCW). Please reference the exact WACs and RCWs as specified on the WSLCB’s Trainer Briefing Questionnaire. Leave no space unanswered.

5) Mail the completed WSLCB forms, ServSafe Alcohol certification and ServSafe Alcohol Instructor approval to the WHAEF. Original documents with signatures are needed. Mail to:


510 Plum Street SE

Olympia, WA 98501-1587

6) Purchase class training material. After receiving your approval letters from the WSLCB and the WHAEF, you may purchase your trainer toolkit. Trainer toolkits are available for purchase through ServSafe. WHA members receive a discount on all ServSafe Alcohol materials so have your WHA member number available when ordering. Order your trainer toolkit here.