When a property has a reputation for great food, it's because the kitchen cooks are doing an outstanding job. They are skilled in preparing food, using kitchen equipment properly, and ensuring that everything is kept safe and sanitary to put the highest quality food on each plate. The Certified Kitchen Cook credential recognizes those professionals in a food service operation who are committed to high standards in everything they do.
The certification is supported by the START (Skills, Tasks, and Results Training) for Kitchen Cook. The online program presents general hospitality knowledge and soft skills needed in the hospitality industry, along with concise instructions for training new or prospective employees on how to perform 18 key tasks correctly. These include:
- Explaining how to use basic kitchen tools and equipment, including knives
- Converting standard recipes based on portion size and number of portions
- Handling special guest situations, including substitutions
- Demonstrating basic kitchen safety and sanitation guidelines
The online program includes:
- Three-month online access to START program from date of purchase
- Access to first online certification exam (retake fees apply if exam is not passed on first attempt)
Successful candidates who complete the START for Kitchen Cook online program and pass the 30 multiple-choice questions certification exam with a score of 70% or higher will receive a Certified Kitchen Cook certificate and lapel pin.