Job Description: As a kitchen manager within food service management you could be working in a range of establishments that require food service – from a hospital to a university. As a kitchen manager, your role is to manage the food production and the catering staff as they serve meals in a cafeteria or restaurant.
Your day-to-day duties may involve:
- food preparation
- managing budgets
- maintaining health and hygiene procedures
- allocating tasks to junior team members
- ordering stock
The kitchen manager will work closely with the head chef to develop the menu and organize the catering staff as they prepare the meals. You will be given a budget by the organization to create the menu, and as the kitchen manager, you will ensure that the content is healthy and there is plenty of choice for all religious, cultural, and health considerations. Every week you will perform a stock take to minimize wastage when making the next order.
Every day the kitchen manager will brief the team about the menu and the plan of action to ensure meals are served on time. You will supervise your team as they prepare and cook the food, and teach them food preparation techniques. Health and safety are crucial in a kitchen environment and as the kitchen manager, it is your responsibility to maintain the health, hygiene, and safety standards. You will look out for unsafe and unhygienic practices, and make sure your team is trained to use the equipment.
- Complete kitchen documentation
- Contribute to the control of resources
- Contribute to the development of recipes and menus
- Contribute to the selection of staff for activities
- Develop productive working relationships with colleagues
- Ensure food safety practices are followed in the preparation and serving of food and drink
- Lead a team to improve customer service
- Maintain the health, hygiene, safety, and security of the working environment
- Manage a budget
- Monitor and solve customer service problems
- Provide leadership for your team
- Provide learning opportunities for colleagues
- Supervise food production operations
- Supervise off-site food delivery services
Available Training and Certifications