Job Description: The head porter is responsible for supervising a team of porters. You will support your staff while they assist guests during their stay.
Your day-to-day duties may involve:
- taking guest’s luggage to their rooms
- arranging guest transport
- parking vehicles for the guests
The head porter’s time is mostly spent supervising their team with daily tasks. You will meet and greet guests as they arrive, and offer to carry their luggage.
As the head porter, you are responsible for managing your team, this includes coordinating shift rosters and leading team briefings. During your team briefings, you will alert your team of any guests that have special requirements, and inform them of health and safety regulations.
During an emergency, the head porter is a crucial member of staff. They will ensure that the guests are evacuated safely and help is called promptly. As the head porter is based at the front desk they need to be alert of security threats.
- Assist in handling mail
- Collect and deliver items for customers and staff
- Deal with the arrival of customers
- Develop productive working relationships with colleagues
- Give customers a positive impression of yourself and your organization
- Handle mail and book external services
- Improve the customer relationship
- Lead a team to improve customer service
- Maintain the health, hygiene, safety, and security of the working environment
- Manage the receipt, storage, or dispatch of goods
- Produce documents in a business environment
- Promote additional services or products to customers
- Provide learning opportunities for colleagues
- Provide tourism information services to customers
- Receive, move, and store customer and organization property
- Resolve customer service problems
- Service public areas at front of house
- Supervise portering and concierge services
- Understand how to communicate in a business environment
Available Training and Certifications