Job Description: As a hotel manager you would oversee all aspects of running a hotel, from housekeeping and general maintenance to budget management and marketing. You will need a good eye for detail, complimented with strong business and communication skills. The ability to think on your feet and solve problems quickly is also essential, as is a sensitive and diplomatic approach to issue management – every day will bring a different challenge!
Your day-to-day duties may involve:
- managing budgets
- recruiting and training staff
- business marketing
The general manager of a hotel will coordinate the activities of the department managers to ensure the hotel is meeting its targets and the customers are satisfied. A successful hotel relies on great customer service, so the general manager will make sure the team members are well trained and adhering to customer care policies.
Although the general manager may not be heavily involved at ground level, their decisions will affect every aspect of the business and its employees. For example, they may be required to build relationships with external partners and the media for the benefit of the hotel. The role will also involve managing revenue, responding effectively to business downturns, and managing HR practices to ensure the workforce is trained and aware of the company procedures.
- Proven records of commitment and professionalism in meeting the challenges and pressures of a 24-hour, 7-day week operation.
- Proficiency with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and ten-key calculator
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, ability to take initiative and handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to communicate effectively, both written and oral
- Ability to work the shifts required for the position
- Ability to learn and adhere to brand standards
- Ability to take information from various sources and determine a responsible course of action
- Ability to understand interdepartmental relationships
- Ability to operate office equipment and industry-specific software
- Ability to remain calm during stressful situations
- Ability to motivate and lead a team
- Ability to read, interpret and analyze financial reports, P&L Statements, Sales & Marketing reports
Available Training and Certifications