Job Description: As a bellman, you are based at the reception or bellman’s desk and your responsibility is to assist guests as they arrive and during their stay. You will carry the guest’s luggage to their room, arrange their transport, and handle the lost property.
Your day-to-day duties may involve:
- meeting and greeting guests
- taking the guest’s luggage to their rooms
- arranging transport for guests
- advising guests about local activities
As a bellman deals with many inquiries every day, their day-to-day duties are extremely varied. As they are the first point of contact at the hotel they may take messages for the guests, sort mail, and look after room keys. The guests trust the bellman with valuable items and confidential information, so it is a job where discretion is valued.
You may also sell newspapers, postcards, and stamps, book theatre tickets, hire cars for the guests, or park their cars. Sometimes you will help with housekeeping, or assist the restaurant and banqueting staff to set up rooms and lift large furniture. When lifting heavy items, it’s important that you adhere to safe practices.
If you are on night duty, you will be required to provide a switchboard cover, check customers in or out, and serve snacks. In the morning you may deliver newspapers and wake-up calls. You will follow the head receptionist’s instructions to ensure smooth a handover.
- Assist in handling mail
- Collect and deliver items for customers and staff
- Deal with the arrival of customers
- Give customers a positive impression of yourself and your organization
- Handle mail and book external services
- Maintain a safe, hygienic, and secure working environment
- Maintain Customer Care
- Make and receive telephone calls
- Produce documents in a business environment
- Promote additional services or products to customers
- Provide reception services
- Provide tourism information services to customers
- Receive, move, and store customer and organization property
- Resolve customer service problems
- Service public areas at front of house
- Understand how to communicate in a business environment
- Work effectively as part of a hospitality team
Available Training and Certifications: