Job Description: As a team member or barista in a coffee shop, you will use specialist machines to make a range of coffees and hot drinks, serve customers, and ensure the work surfaces are clean and tidy.
Your day-to-day duties may involve:
- advising customers about the beverages in the coffee shop
- taking coffee orders from customers
- making the order with the correct coffee, milk, and flavorings
- checking the coffee machines regularly throughout the day
- keeping the machine and work area clean
Before the coffee shop opens the team, members will refill the display counters with food and drink, napkins, and cutlery. The presentation of a coffee shop is important to attracting customers and retaining the brand of the business, so the work surfaces and display counters will be cleaned thoroughly and arranged according to company policy. Once the coffee shop is open you will serve customers, making them drinks of their choice and advising them about the types of coffee available.
Throughout the shift, it is important that team members restock and wipe down the displays, and return empty mugs and dishes from the coffee shop floor. The cleanliness and hygiene of the coffee shop need to be maintained, so collection points, the kitchen, tables, and display areas are tidied and cleaned regularly. As a team member, you are based at the cash point, where customers pay for their food and drink.
As coffee shops are busy environments, team members need to work well under pressure and enjoy working with people.
- Clean and store crockery and cutlery
- Give customers a positive impression of yourself and your organization
- Maintain a safe, hygienic, and secure working environment
- Maintain and process with payments
- Maintain customer care
- Maintain food safety when storing, holding, and serving food
- Prepare and clear areas for counter/takeaway service
- Prepare and clear areas for drinks service
- Prepare and clear areas for table service
- Prepare and serve dispensed and instant hot drinks
- Prepare and serve hot drinks using specialist equipment
- Provide a counter/takeaway service
- Serve drinks
- Work effectively as part of a hospitality team
Available Training and Certifications: